Aug 25, 2011
If you want to update your Blackberry Playbook Operating System, RIM has outlined step by step how to do that.
To check for a software update on the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet, Just complete the following steps:
- Ensure you are connected to a wifi
- From the homescreen on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, touch the Gear icon in the upper right corner
- Touch Software Updates
- Touch Check for Updates
- If a software update is available, touch Download to start downloading the update
- After the download is complete, touch Install to install the update
- Note: After the install is complete you may be prompted to restart the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet in order to complete the update.
- Note: The BlackBerry PlayBook tablet must be plugged in and have at least 20% battery life in order to complete the update
Unfortunately sometimes we are not at the luxury to have a wifi connection and we cannot do it through Blackberry Bridge. Don’t worry, now you can update your playbook using Desktop Manager.
Here’s is the trick:
- Open BlackBerry Desktop Software on your PC
- Do full backup on your tablet
- Go to Device > Update
- You will get a message “No Update Available”
- Press ok, leave your PlayBook connected via USB
- Press the Power Off app then select Restart
- Once the PlayBook boots up, you will be prompted to do the update
Just a note, after doing the OS update via Desktop Software you can restore your data. Make sure you follow the entire setup process, before doing the restore.